We're working for you.

These areas report to your Street & Environmental Services Director.



Q: When is my garbage collected?
Have all of your carts out by 6:30 a.m. on your collection day with directional arrows pointing to street or alley.  If you have street collection, set carts behind curb or on shoulder if no curb... not in gutter line or street.  Roll them back to a safe place near your house by 6 p.m.

Garbage Pickup Days (PDF Download):

Q: What about large items, limbs, bushes, appliances, furniture, and other bulky waste?

  • Place large items neatly away from fences, mailboxes, buildings, utility poles, etc. in same area where your garbage is picked up. (There are, however, a few areas where garbage collection is on the street, but trash is picked up at the alley.  Call the Street & Environmental Services office at (256) 341-4740 if you are not sure.)
  • Limbs should be no longer than 5’ lengths.
  • Loader trucks generally run on same day as garbage, but on a 2-week schedule.
  • Loader trucks do not service both street and alley for your location.
  • Periodic delays may be expected due to storm debris and at other times when large quantities of debris are generated throughout the City.

Fall Leaf Collection - Vacuum Machines on Street (no alleys)   Fall Leaf Collection Information »

  • Provided at curbside during months of October through January. Start date each year depends on weather conditions and how soon leaves begin to accumulate at curbside in sufficient quantities to roll out the vacuum machines.
  • Keep it clean! Don't mix leaves with trash or limbs or garbage. The vacuum machines can only handle leaves.
  • Put leaf piles behind curb (or on edge of yard if no curb), not in gutter or street, for traffic safety and to prevent street flooding.
  • Keep leaf piles away from mailboxes, utility poles, etc.
  • Remove vehicles from the streets to allow a more efficient cleanup.
  • If you have alley pick up for garbage and trash, you may also place the leaves there for pick up by the loader truck when it comes through.
  • Mulched leaves may also be placed in your green yard waste cart for collection on your regular garbage day.

Q: What about debris from building repairs, remodeling and demolition?
As you make plans for your building repairs or remodeling, please remember to plan for debris removal.

  • Owners are responsible (even if they do it themselves!) for the proper disposal of construction debris by private means.
  • The City of Decatur will not remove this material which includes scrap lumber, plaster, roofing, carpet, sheet rock, concrete, brick, dirt, and rock.

Reference:  City of Decatur, Municipal Code, Solid Waste Ordinance, Sec. 19-7.

Click here to view the Decatur/Morgan County Regional Landfill disposal rates and hours of operation. 

Q: What about debris from contractors - trees, fencing, shingles, landscaping etc?
All contractors are required by city ordinance to haul away their debris from work sites. There should be no negotiations between contractor and homeowner based on the assumption that the Sanitation Department will remove it.  The Sanitation Department will not haul it.

Reference:  City of Decatur, Municipal Code, Solid Waste Ordinance Sec. 19-9.

Q: How much do I pay for residential garbage and trash pickup? 
Garbage fees are billed on your Decatur Utility bill each month as follows: 

  Effective 10/1/16
Residential $16.50
Residential Extra Cart $7.43

Questions about your garbage bill should be directed to the Street & Environmental Services Department, (256) 341-4740. 

Q: Information on Commercial Accounts
Service is provided to some small businesses which meet location and quantity requirements.  A maximum of two garbage carts are allowed.  Businesses which generate larger volumes of solid waste are required to contract their needs with a private waste hauler. Call Street & Environmental Services for more information, (256) 341-4740.

  Effective 10/1/16
Commercial -
(2 garbage carts maximum)

Q: Removal of Garbage Fees

  • For vacant houses, the owner signs an affidavit that house has been vacant and generated no garbage or trash for 60 days. Call Street & Environmental Services (256) 341-4740 for the sworn statement or click here for the vacancy sworn statement PDF. Please fill out and return the completed form to the Street & Environmental Services Department, 1802 Central Parkway SW, Decatur, AL 35601. Charges will be made inactive after DU receives verification of the vacancy from Public Works. No refunds will be made for the period of vacancy prior to or during the verification process.
  • For the Social Security exemption, residents must apply to the Morgan County Health Department at 510 Cherry Street Northeast (340-2105).  Proof is required that the only income that a household receives is Social Security, and re-application must be made each December to continue the exemption.  Extreme hardship cases are also considered.

Q: How do I dispose of dead animals?
A: Calls concerning dead animals need to be directed to the Street & Environmental Services Office. Animals should be placed in a plastic bag and placed on the curb for pick up. City workers are not allowed to go onto private property.